Unabridged birth certificates – an entry and exit requirement

Unabridged birth certificates as an entry and exit requirement in terms of the immigration regulation 6 (12)

Officials on transfer are reminded that the Department of Home Affairs will implement that passengers under the age of 18 years be required to present an unabridged birth certificate, with effect 01 June 2015, on entry and exiting the RSA.

The Department of Home Affairs has informed the Directorate: Foreign Service Human Resources Administration, that officials and their dependents holding South African Diplomatic passports can make use of a stamped and signed “Certified True Copy” of unabridged birth certificates for accompanying children under the age of 18 years.

It should be noted that the Directorate: Foreign Service Human Resources Administration did inquire as to whether South African diplomatic passport holders would be exempted, however the Department of Home Affairs advised that no exemption would granted in this regard.

Children travelling with only one parent:

When a child travels with only one parent, additional documents should include an affidavit in which the absent parent gives consent for the child to travel, a court order granting full parental responsibilities or legal guardianship of the child, or the death certificate of the absent parent. The affidavit should be no more than 3 months old from date of travel.

Children travelling without either parent:

In the case of a child travelling with a person other than a parent, the Unabridged Birth Certificate must be supplemented by affidavits from the parents or legal guardians confirming that the child may travel with that person, copies of the ID documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian, and the contact details of the parents or legal guardian.

Similarly, a child travelling as an unaccompanied minor would have to produce not only the Unabridged Birth Certificate, but also proof of consent from both parents or legal guardians and contact details, plus documentation relating to the person receiving the child in South Africa. The latter documentation should include a letter stating the person’s contact details and residential address, contact details where the child will be residing, plus a copy of his or her ID document, passport or residence permit.