Consular appointments

Important notification:

Book your Consular visit time slot here and arrive 5 minutes before your selected time.

To make an appointment please select a time slot for your Consular visit.

Forms to be completed in English only.

Please be sure of your appointment availability before booking.

If you need to make any changes, email the consular section on

Contact the embassy for emergencies.

Agencies to kindly book one time slot for each applicant.

Voting abroad in the 2019 general election

On 26 February 2019 the President of the Republic of South Africa and the provincial Premiers proclaimed the 8 May 2019 as the elections date by way of notices in the Government Gazette.

Please note that voting day abroad will not occur on the same date as voting inside of the Republic of South Africa on 8 May 2019.

Voting abroad is scheduled for Saturday 27 April 2019.

Now that the President and Premiers have proclaimed the 8 May 2019 as the date of the 2019 National and Provincial Elections, registered voters who intend to vote abroad are required to notify the CEO of the IEC of their intention to vote abroad, and at which mission they intend to vote abroad. This notification template is available  on and will be available until 13 March2019.

Importantly, voter registration for the 2019 elections closes on the day of proclamation. No further applications to register to vote for the 2019 elections may be received after proclamation. Read more…

2019 elections – Notice to all SA citizens in Japan


South African citizens in Japan are hereby informed that voter registration will be opened at the Embassy of the Republic of South Africa during Consular Hours (Mondays – 10:00 – 12:30, Wednesdays – 10:00 – 12:30, and Thursdays – 10:00 – 12:30) with effect from Monday, 16thof April 2018 until the proclamation of the NPE 2019.

South African citizens who are already registered as voters in South Africa are not required to register at the South African Embassy.

However, in order to be eligible to vote abroad, the voter will have to inform the Chief Electoral Officer via the completion of a VEC10 form of their intention to vote outside of the country.  This can be done online and will be available on the website at  for a 15-day period from the date that the NPE 2019 election is proclaimed.

Requirements for Registration

The following are needed for the voter to register abroad and should be presented at the Embassy of the Republic of South Africa in order to complete the voter registration:

    • An ID document or Smart ID card or Valid Temporary ID Certificate (TIC);
    • A valid passport;
    • Apply to register in person at the Embassy; and
    • Applicant to complete a REC1/OC form (Attached)

For any enquires kindly contact the Consular Section.  Tel: (03) 3265-3366   /

Ending of acceptance of cash payments

The Embassy of the Republic of South Africa in Japan will stop accepting cash payments for Immigration and Civic Services such as applications for visas, identity documents, birth certificates, etc. with effect from 01 May 2016. The following procedure will apply:

· Applicants will submit applications for services that they require at the Embassy;
· Consular staff at the Embassy will check the applications for relevance and completeness;
· Once the applications for the services have been accepted by the Consular Section at the Embassy, applicants must deposit the appropriate application fees in the following bank account of the Embassy:

Name of Bank: 三菱東京UFJ銀行
Name of Branch: 虎ノ門支店
Type of Account: 普通
Account Number: 0098289
Name of Account: 南アフリカ共和国大使館領事部
Name of Account: ミナミアフリカキョウワコクタイシカン リョウジブ
Reference: 申請者名

Name of Bank: The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd
Name of Branch: Toranomon
Type of Account: Ordinary
Account Number: 0098289
Name of Account: Embassy of the Republic of South Africa
Reference: Name of the applicant

A copy of the deposit slip must then be presented to the Consular Section at the Embassy as proof of payment. An official receipt will be issued to the applicant after the proof of payment has been accepted.

A schedule of fees payable for each category of applications for the period 20016 to 2017 is enclosed herewith.

Unabridged birth certificates – an entry and exit requirement

Unabridged birth certificates as an entry and exit requirement in terms of the immigration regulation 6 (12)

Officials on transfer are reminded that the Department of Home Affairs will implement that passengers under the age of 18 years be required to present an unabridged birth certificate, with effect 01 June 2015, on entry and exiting the RSA.

The Department of Home Affairs has informed the Directorate: Foreign Service Human Resources Administration, that officials and their dependents holding South African Diplomatic passports can make use of a stamped and signed “Certified True Copy” of unabridged birth certificates for accompanying children under the age of 18 years.

It should be noted that the Directorate: Foreign Service Human Resources Administration did inquire as to whether South African diplomatic passport holders would be exempted, however the Department of Home Affairs advised that no exemption would granted in this regard.

Children travelling with only one parent:

When a child travels with only one parent, additional documents should include an affidavit in which the absent parent gives consent for the child to travel, a court order granting full parental responsibilities or legal guardianship of the child, or the death certificate of the absent parent. The affidavit should be no more than 3 months old from date of travel.

Children travelling without either parent:

In the case of a child travelling with a person other than a parent, the Unabridged Birth Certificate must be supplemented by affidavits from the parents or legal guardians confirming that the child may travel with that person, copies of the ID documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian, and the contact details of the parents or legal guardian.

Similarly, a child travelling as an unaccompanied minor would have to produce not only the Unabridged Birth Certificate, but also proof of consent from both parents or legal guardians and contact details, plus documentation relating to the person receiving the child in South Africa. The latter documentation should include a letter stating the person’s contact details and residential address, contact details where the child will be residing, plus a copy of his or her ID document, passport or residence permit.