Regulations for children travelling to SA

Regulations for children travelling to SA

Passengers travelling by air with children should take note of the below mentioned announcement as received from South African Airways (SAA), regarding the new regulations for children travelling to and from South Africa.
Although the announcement is from SAA, all airlines would have to abide by the new regulations as promulgated in terms of the South African Immigration Amended Act of 2010. It is recommended that officials verify with airlines prior their travel as to any specific requirements pertaining to children.

This circular should also be read in conjunction with Transfer Circular 8 of 2014 as previously circulated, noting that the concession mentioned in Transfer circular 8 of 2014 was derived from the Department of Home Affairs.

New regulations for children travelling to and from South Africa

With effect 01 June 2015, South African Airways (SAA) will comply with new regulations relating to children who travel to and from South Africa. These new regulations were promulgated in terms of the South African Immigration Amendment Act of 2010 and define children as persons under the age of 18.

In terms of the new regulations, when parents are travelling with a child they need to produce an unabridged birth certificate that shows the names of both parents. In cases where the certificate is in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by a sworn translation issued by a competent authority in the country concerned.

When a child travels with only one parent, additional documents should include an affidavit in which the absent parent gives consent for the child to travel, a court order granting full parental responsibilities or legal guardianship of the child, or the death certificate of the absent parent. The affidavit should be no more than three months old, from date of travel.

In the case of a child travelling with a person other than a parent, the unabridged birth certificate must be supplemented by affidavits from the parents or legal guardians confirming that the child may travel with that person, copies of the identity documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian, and the contact details of the parents or legal guardian.

Similarly, a child travelling as an unaccompanied minor would have to produce not only the unabridged birth certificate, but also proof of consent from both parents, or legal guardian and contact details, plus documentation relating to the person receiving the child in the Republic. The latter documentation should include a letter stating the person’s contact details and residential address and contact details where the child will be residing, plus a copy of his or her identity document, passport or residence permit.

All documents must either be original or certified as true copies of the original, by a competent authority. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a sworn translation.

For forms and more information..